Sunday, May 22, 2011

Begattin'

Day 73:  1 Chronicles 1–5; Daniel 7–12; Philemon

The bible has undoubtedly boring lists to wade through at time...boring at least to the casual observer.  For instance genealogies are lengthy and can be difficult to keep a reader's attention.  1 Chronicles contains lots of genealogies.   So and so begot so and so who begot so and so and so on and son on.

The first of my ancestors to America was Anton and Barbara Theuring (later spelled Tyring). They moved to Indiana in the 1840's from Southwest Germany, an area called Bavaria or the Palatinate.  It was fertile rheinland. They were farmers and herders. In Europe there was in the middle 19th century great turmoil because of the nationalistic movement sweeping the continent.  Land owners were conscripting their serfs to fight wars against centralizing government troops.  Millions fled Europe to come to America for a fresh start.

My son's name is Anthony Tyring.  He has the same name as our ancestor who came across the Atlantic Ocean to give his sons a chance.  Anton and Barbara is buried in the St. Matthew's United Church of Christ cemetery in Lynnville, Indiana.  My son and I have stood over their graves.  There is deep meaning and some gratitude knowing this genealogy.

Perhaps, as those who like a wild olive branch have been grafted into the cultivated vine, we Gentile Christians might honor the deep meaning of these lists of names, what they mean to the Jews (Rom. 11:17-24). Consider what they mean to the King of the Jews, Jesus of Nazareth.  Our significance is not derived from whom we are descendant.  It is to whom we belong forever...The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

It is true that Paul spoke against genealogies, but this was for those who neglect the call to good works in favor of endless debate (1 Tim. 1:4; Tit 3:9).   Perhaps we can appreciate that it is through the people of Israel who record their genesis in Adam, who call themselves "children of Abraham," and who look forward to a son of David to lead a messianic age where God's reign lasts forever, that we know God and His Son Jesus and have eternal life (Jn. 17:3).

The meaning of our worth is in the fact that God loves us and gave up His son for us.  But there is so much to celebrate in our relatives, both those by blood and those by the blood of Christ.  For instance Paul celebrates with Timothy the faith he has which was also in Timothy's mother Eunice and grandmother Lois (2 Tim. 1:4-5).  My mother and father both shaped my faith.  Mom prayed with me at my bedside every night for most of my childhood.  I did the same for my children.  My dad loved to sing the hymns.  To this day, singing the faith is always a blessing to me.  Sometimes I can hear my father voice in my heart of hearts.  He went on to be with the Lord in 2004.

But there are those in the church who have also shaped my faith.  I had professors in seminary who mothered and fathered me. I had close kinship with fellow students and colleagues in ministry.  The relationship's intimacy and trust is such that I can call them "brothers."

Paul felt this way about Onesimus, runaway slave.  Paul write his owner Philemon about him.

I wanted to keep him (Onesimus) with me, so that in my imprisonment for the gospel he might serve me in your place. But I didn't want to do anything without your consent, so that your good deed might not be out of obligation, but of your own free will. For perhaps this is why he was separated [from you] for a brief time, so that you might get him back permanently, no longer as a slave, but more than a slave—as a dearly loved brother. This is especially so to me, but even more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord (Phm. 1:13-16). 

Paul later refers to Philemon as a brother in the letter to appeal to his Christian love and the meaning of their relationship as fellow disciples of Jesus.  We are all forgiven and called to forgiving others.  Paul wants Philemon to forgive the runaway slave Onesimus, receiving not on the basis of his crime, but on the basis of their mutual status as forgiven sinners in Christ.


Daniel writes of wild dreams and visions with terrifying beasts who represent nations...nations who cam from people who came from their fathers and their fathers before them.  1 Chronicles notes at times when an individual became a people. Amalek is the father of the Amalekites.  Jacob called Israel is the father of all Israel and Judah.

The prophetic visions tell of wicked kings who will rule the world and lead the people into worship, none of their fathers did (Dan. 11:38).  But Daniel trusts and prays fervently to the God of his fathers (Dan. 2:23).  Daniel knows his fathers because of genealogies and the stories told from one generation to the next sharing all of God's mighty acts of salvation among them.

In one vision Daniel records that, "books were opened."  These books were opened in the heavenly court in which the Ancient of Days (perhaps the Father of all Time - God) was surrounded by countless thousands and tens of thousands.  Those who are listed in the book will escape the coming wrath of God on all evildoers (Dan. 12:1-3).

When it comes to lists, that book is the one I want to be listed in.  Through the gift of grace in Christ, I and all who believe in His salvation, will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment