Thursday, April 21, 2011

How Unsearchable!

Day 44: Joshua 21–24; Isaiah 7–12; Romans 10–12

Tonight is the Holy Thursday service where we remember Jesus' last night on earth.  He celebrated the Passover meal with His closest friends.  He told them that the unleavened bread they ate was His body given for them and the cup of wine was His blood shed for them and for many for the forgiveness of sins.  They went to the garden of Gethsemane to pray.  Jesus knew the suffering and death He was about to endure and He prayed that He might be spared.  In the end He surrendered Himself saying, not my will, but Your will be done." 

Judas Iscariot lead soldiers to Him and He was taken away, tried before the religious rulers, handed over to Pilate the Roman governor and sentenced to death by crucifixion.  By the afternoon of the next day He was nailed to a cross, bleeding and dying and offering a prayer of mercy. "Father forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing."

As I finish Joshua and hear His challenge that the people will turn to other gods; and then see how Isaiah predicts the destruction of Jerusalem because of their disobedience; and then hear the Apostle Paul say that Israel is not rejected by God, but a partial hardening of Israel has lead to salvation for Gentiles, I feel strangely blessed.  It is as if I realize more fully just how fortunate I am.  I know how undeserving I am and yet how blessed I am because of God's mercy.

Tornadoes ripped through parts of Indiana a few days ago.  I feel lucky my property remained safe.  But God save me from arrogantly believing I am somehow exempt from such tragedy because of God's love for me.  That implies God does not love those who were harmed in the storms.  God loves all His children, even when tragedy strikes them.  God did not cease loving Israel when He used Assyria like an axe to chop them down (Isa. 10:15).  God will have mercy on whom He will have mercy (Rom. 9:15).

After all the inheritance is assigned and the cities for the Levites and the Cities of Refuge established, Joshua gathers the people at Shechem before he dies and renews their commitment to the covenant.  He recounts Israel's history.  The focus is not on what Israel had accomplished, but rather on God's faithfulness to them.  The wars were won because God fought for them.

Generations later an established Israel, with kings descending from the legendary David, will prove Joshua's challenge that they will not be able to worship Yahweh and will turn to other gods.   Isaiah prophecies to Israel at a time of military threat.  The Arameans and the Ephraimites join forces against Judah and plan an attack.  King Ahaz of Jerusalem is shaking in his boots, like trees that shake in the wind (Isa. 7:2).

Even though Ahaz is a horrible king leading Israel to worship pagan gods, God chooses to encourage him and bolster his courage.  But He also warns that Assyria is coming.  They will wipe out the current threat, but they will become a threat to Judah later.  God will use Assyria to correct His people, purge their evil, save a remnant for Himself and restore them. 

There are several passages that point to Messiah in Isaiah.  The virgin will give birth to Immanuel (Isa. 7:14).   And the stump of cut down Jesse (the father of the Davidic line of kings) will produce a shoot (Isa. 11:1).  He will be call wonderful counselor, mighty God, Eternal Father and the Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6).  It is so tempting to read these as I have always heard them as advent readings as we prepare to celebrate Christmas, the birth of Messiah.  But the virgin birth in Isaiah 7:14 does not point to a miraculous birth, but a time period of about two years.  Basically before the child is weaned, the current threat from Aram and Ephraim will no longer be an issue because of the Assyrian invasion. 

Nevertheless, hope in a Davidic king and a restored Israel compels Isaiah to write,

"I will praise You, LORD,
    although You were angry with me.
    Your anger has turned away,
    and You have had compassion on me.
 Indeed, God is my salvation.
    I will trust [Him] and not be afraid.
    Because Yah, the LORD,
    is my strength and my song,
    He has become my salvation."

Paul writes the church in Rome to be careful about becoming conceited over the mercy shown them in Christ and exalt themselves over the Jewish people who reject Jesus as the Messiah.  For it was not by the righteousness of the Gentiles that they are now saved through Christ, but rather through God's mercy shown them through Israel's disobedience (Rom 11:30).  Just as God used Assyria to save Judah and them perplex Judah, God is using the Gentiles to make Israel in Paul's day jealous (Rom. 11:11).

When I get to thinking I have got faith and God all figured out, I am in that place where conceit may creep in.  These readings today remind me I cannot lift a finger for either good or bad in the great things of God.  For in the end, it is not my will or efforts that brings salvation and righteousness.  It is God's mercy.  It is God's work of love alone that saves, that makes me right.

I realize I am part of a great history that has been unfolding since the beginning of the universe.  Such thoughts are too wonderful for me (Psa. 139:17). 

"How unsearchable God's judgments and untraceable His ways!" (Rom. 11:33)

1 comment:

  1. Embracing the mystery of God is for me (I have a little control addiction)one of the most difficult yet liberating parts of this faith walk.

    ReplyDelete