Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Creation, Correction, Destruction, Salvation

Today's readings were Genesis 1-5; Job 1-6 and Matthew 1-3.

I was immediately struck by how I saw connections between one book and another.  Genesis 1-5 deals with the creation of the universe, God special relationship with with humanity in Eden, the fall of humanity from paradise, the first murder and the proliferation of violence and wickedness up to the birth of Noah.

Job deals with a righteous man who is faithful to God's order and full of integrity. Satan tries to prove to God that Job will curse God if divine protection is removed and the devil has his way with Job.  He loses his sons and daughters all his flocks and herds in terrible tragedy all in a moment. Job is devastated.  Three of his friends come to comfort him in his terrible grief.  Job wants to die. Indeed he wished he were never born and curses his birthday because his life lead to such great misery.  His friends try to console a man in utter humiliation and the victim of great injustice.  Their words fall flat. 

And in Matthew we hear of the birth of Messiah Jesus, how kings wanted to kill Him and magi wanted to worship Him and how Jesus' very name means "salvation" for he will save the people from their sin.  Jesus begins his ministry through baptism, the Spirit of God descends on Him like a gentle dove and God the Father affirms, "This is my beloved Son in whom I take delight!"

I began with creation where God established a safe place for the created world to exist amidst chaos.  God separated the waters to created land. This occurs by God speaking His will, "Let there be..."    God separated light from dark, earth from primordial chaotic waters and God willed life from barren wastes by the order He establishes.  And God creates humanity to rule in His order over the animals and enjoy the fruit of trees. 

In chapter two I read of Adam and Eve meant to live in freedom in the midst of a garden paradise where God walked with them and spoke with them.  There was only one boundary: "Do not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil."  But Eve listened to the lies of the serpent and Adam listened to His wife.  They both failed to heed God's will, God's order in this safe place amidst the chaos.  The Holy One corrected their error by removing his rebellious children from the garden.  They lost the privilege to be with God in such a carefree innocence. Instead, because they did not heed God's will but listened to the serpent's temptation to be "like gods," they entered mortal life with no opportunity to eat from the tree of Life and live forever.  They would toil under the sun with a cursed soil because of their sin.  Even the land is cursed, the very dust from which they were formed they are now alienated from it. 
Out of this fallen condition Cain their firstborn kills Abel their second son.  Cain murders Abel out of jealousy and rage, but God protect Cain with a mark and a sevenfold consequence for anyone who might kill Cain. Lamech, a descent of Cain ups the ante.  He says anyone who kills Lamech with pay 77 times.  Where God gives protective garments and signs to His wayward children, humanity is growing more arrogant and brutal. Vengeance becomes to tool of the "rulers" of the earth.  I doubt God meant for humans to "rule the earth" in this way when He blessed us with this duty.

Job was one who "fears God and turns away from evil."  Job's fear is one that keeps him in proper relationship with God. job understands himself as creature.  He does not aspire to be "like god" as Adam did. Instead when he is in deep anguish over the evil attack on his family and possessions, he tells his wife, "Should we accept only good from God and not adversity? (Job 2:10)"  In this world, this good creation now fallen from its original freedom, Jesus taught we will have trouble, but to take heart for He has overcome the world (John 16:33).  Job shows that even the righteous suffer in this cursed land because of human sin and the destructive work of the adversary, Satan.  This book deals honestly with human grief and suffering and tries to give voice to those on who tragedy befalls.  There is some healing in these words, to hear my own grief, my own response to suffering in life, in Job's lament.  And I feel justified in my grief when Job refuses to accept easy answers from his religious friends.

Job is in pain, but still there is hope that God will deliver him from unbearable pain through death.  He does not take his own life, but asks God to take his life.  He wishes aloud that he had never been born.  But Job does not know that God has yet a deliverer, one of who we can join the apostle Paul in saying, "I consider the sufferings of this life to be nothing compared to the glory about to be revealed (Rom 8:18)."

For through Joseph, descendant of the former King David and described as "a righteous man" (Mat. 1:19), Jesus came into the world to save it. 

Today as I think of God separating chaotic primordial waters to make a place for the earth, sun, moon and stars and all the life on this land, of how He separated light from darkness and sinful humanity from holy paradise, I long for a walk with God that pleases Him.  I long to separate from the things that do not fit within His order.  I wish to pursue His right ways and live in them. 

But I know on this Ash Wednesday that I too am sinful, behaving like I am the god of my own existence at times.  I too need to remember myself before God and humble myself as Job did, accepting life as it comes, not as I will it to be and hoping in the saving of this old world through the glory about to be revealed through the redemptive work of God through Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott! After Lenten service tonight I looked up your blog you mentioned here and have decided to join you in reading through the bible in 90 days! I found a chronological one year plan that I'm converting to 90 days by doing 4 days worth at a time from http://www.bibleplan.org My readings for today were Genesis 1-11, Job 1-5. I've always wanted to read the books of the Bible in the order they were written so that is why I chose the chronological reading plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Mike! I look forward to sharing this experience with you. I pray you grow closer to Christ this season.

    ReplyDelete