Friday, March 18, 2011

Doubt

Day 10: Genesis 46–50; Psalms 13–18: Matthew 27–28

I remember once getting chosen for a great honor in a Scouting program.  It was a leadership training weekend and one Scout is chosen among all the others as the best leader.  It comes as a result of the combined opinions of peers and the leaders of the program.  When I was chosen, I was completely speechless. I was not expecting this honor.  And the ceremony for this honor seemed to move in a slow motion, rich with meaning.  I could not believe it.

As Matthew closes his gospel account he brings us to a mountain in Galilee where the risen Jesus tells His disciples, "there you will see me."  And Matthew notes as the once dead and now resurrected Lord stood before them, some doubted.  They could not believe it.

There has always been blessings too good to be true in the life of Christians.  And there has always been a struggle to accept God's unconditional love. We feel we have to have to earn it somehow or find a way to become worthy of it.

Joseph's brothers feared for their lives after the death of Jacob their father.  They were sure Joseph held a grudge because they had treated him so badly by selling him into slavery. Like Esau vowed to kill Jacob after their father Isaac died,  they expected Joseph to exact revenge.  But Joseph had realized that God had turned this evil thing into salvation for the nation of Egypt and for his family.  He had let go of his bitterness and forgiven his brothers.  They could not believe it.  So Joseph had to encourage them until their fear subsided.

We serve a God who reaches beyond every barrier and crushes every enemy for His people's sake. But do I trust this God to do for me what He did for Joseph and his family?  For King David who in psalm  cries, "He reached down from on high and took hold of me...He rescued me from my powerful enemy (Psa. 18:16-17)?"  Do I trust God to rescue me even from death as He did Jesus?  Or will I when faced with the darkness shudder with fearful doubts?  For the good news is too good! It is hard to believe.  It always has been and always will be for the reasoning man.

Lord I believe! Save me from my unbelief (Mark 9:24)!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment