Friday, March 18, 2011

Deliverance and Vindication

Day 9: Genesis 41–45; Psalms 7–12; Matthew 25–26

I love being vindicated,  being affirmed in my right standing.  This is especially true when I suffer self doubt.  I think I know what is right, but around the edges there is the fear that maybe I am wrong.  I've been depicting God often here in these posts as creating "safe places" to nurture life.  Imagine my feeling of joy and vindication as I read Psalm 12:5.  The Holman Christian Standard Bible is the translation I have chosen for this reading through the Bible.

 5 "Because of the oppression of the afflicted
    and the groaning of the poor,
    I will now rise up," says the LORD.
    "I will put in a safe place the one who longs for it."

The vindication isn't me patting myself on the back.  Rather it is feeling joy in the affirmation of my experience as I encounter the word of God. 

Joseph is delivered from his affliction and made the number 2 ruler in all of Egypt. He is Pharaoh's most trusted advisor and administrator.  Pharaoh blesses Joseph with a wife from the the daughter of the priest of On.  He named his first son Manasseh, meaning, "God has made me forget all my hardship in my father's house." And the second son he named Ephraim, meaning, "God has made me fruitful in the land of my affliction." (Gen. 41:51-52)

And famine comes to Egypt, but because of Joseph, the nation is saved from destruction because God warns the king of Egypt in a dream for which only Joseph has the insight to interpret.  Joseph is quick to humbly point out that it is God who is giving the interpretation, not Joseph.  Joseph understands himself merely as a servant of the Lord passing along the message of his master.  By the blessing of God's covenant with Abraham and his descendants, Egypt is indeed blessed.  Egypt is delivered.

And the sons of Jacob (Israel) also are delivered from the famine.  But it is only after Joseph works through his very human grief and hostility toward those who had betrayed him and caused him years of suffering.  Joseph had the power and authority to take vengeance on his brothers.  He tests them with riddles and cruel games, but in the end softens his heart.  He weeps over his reconciliation.  So Joseph is restored to his father Jacob and his brother Benjamin and his half brothers.  He too is delivered from his bitterness of soul and healing occurs within.  He is able to affirm his brothers saying, "God sent me ahead of you to establish you as a remnant within the land and to keep you alive by a great deliverance. Therefore it was not you who sent me here, but God (Gen 45:7-8a)."

God is with us in times of great difficulty, even as we face death, but even death does not oppress us forever.  The oppressed cry out and ultimately God delivers them.  He delivers them from hopelessness with His mighty promises in Christ for victory over the grave.  And He delivers them from enemies. 

Psalm 10:14b pleas to the Lord,

"The helpless entrusts himself to You;
    You are a helper of the fatherless.
    Break the arm of the wicked and evil person;
    call his wickedness into account
    until nothing remains of it."

Jesus teaches that in the end He will judge humanity and separate the brutish selfish goat-like souls from the gentle and generous lamb-like souls (Mat. 25:31-46).  Those who do unto the "least of these" some kindness do it also unto Christ the King and Judge of all the earth.

But until then brutes will oppress the weak and good-natured.  They will do to them just as they did to Jesus who suffered greatly at the hands of wicked men. (Mat. 26:67-68; 27:27-31)

Even Jesus seems to experience a sense of abandonment as he cries, "my God, why have you forsaken me (Mat. 27:46)."  But vindication is coming.  Joseph of Arimethia honors Jesus' remains by placing Him in a brand new tomb, a tomb which will be the very place God delivers His Holy One from the grip of Death.

O Lord, You are amazing!  You are the One who breathes life into us and keeps breathing into us the Life abundant through Christ.  May we always keep our hearts hoping in Your deliverance!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment