Monday, March 28, 2011

My Portion Forever

Day 20: Leviticus 6–10; Psalms 73–78; Luke 10–12

Aaron and his sons learn of their duties and begin to carry them out.  The tabernacle and all of it's holy furnishings are consecrated.  The priests are consecrated and the people are also made holy through the sacrifices performed before the Lord at the tabernacle.

In some of the sacrifices a portion of the food offered to God is shared with the priests and their families.  It is their portion, a gift from God through His people (Lev. 7:34).

Psalm 73 begins with a worshipper he has envied the wealthy and wicked.  But he sees clearly through worship of the eternal God that their days are short.  He repents and realizes the Lord is his portion forever.

"Whom do I have in heaven but You?
    And I desire nothing on earth but You.
    My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength  of my heart,
    my portion forever...

But as for me, God's presence is my good." (Psa. 73:25-26, 28a)

John Wesley used the very words from Psalm 73:25 to describe the heart of a Methodist.  She knows that that only God is the real prize, not husbands or wives, children or grandchildren, friends or family can compare to the joy of the Lord.  All the wonderful blessings of this mortal life are nothing compared to God.  The prophet wrote " no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind can conceive what God has prepared for those who love Him" (Isa. 64:4; 1 Cor. 2:9).

God gave portions to Israel of the promised land, but there are many mansions (dwelling places) for the saved (John 14:2) in the kingdom of heaven.  Could there be anything on earth that compares to the eternal bliss of God's presence?

Don't get me wrong.  I deeply love my wife, Michele and my children.  I love my friends and am so grateful for them.  I greatly enjoy a juicy steak, a cold beer, and lively rock music.  I think Hollywood has created memorable films that move me and excite me.  I watch them frequently.  But even still my heart tells me there's something more, something amazingly wonderful coming beyond the curtain of my mortal life.  And I feel deep in my bones an anticipation that makes me shudder with joy.  Like a kid who can't wait for Christmas morning to arrive, I long for my heavenly home, my portion forever.

Jesus told his 70 disciples who rejoiced at the fact that they had power to drive out demons in His name to rejoice rather in the knowledge that their names are written in heaven (Lk. 10:20).  He told Martha to calm down and stop fussing over playing the hostess. Her sister Mary had chosen the better portion, to sit at His feet and listen.

Jesus encouraged His followers to work for treasure in heaven and not to spend so much time and energy worrying about this life and its cares and concerns.  "Make for yourselves purses that don't wear out (Lk. 12:33)."  The heavenly reward goes to the faithful and wise servant who does as His Master expects...take care of the the others, to care for the poor and destitute and to reconcile with those who have a case against him.

My Lord, thank You for the promise of a portion with You that never fades.  Help me to be wise and serve You well as I wait for You to bring me home to Yourself.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment